Thursday, September 23, 2010

hecking an ego on the go ...

It's nearly impossible to overtake someone on the roads these days, especially when both parties are on bikes, and even more especially when the bikes are among the more powerful bikes on the market today (loosely, those with engine capacities of 150cc and above), without seemingly causing untold agony and hurt to the ego of the person being overtaken.

I'm not on the road to race. If I overtake someone, it's because of that person being at that place at that time, causing him (or her) to be overtaken.

I would've done the same had that person not been there on the road getting overtaken by me.

So it's not a race, nor an ego boost for me. I am just riding, on my way to wherever I want to go. It's as simple as that!

It surprises me how easily this fact is lost on all of the wannabe road-racers and their egos. Can't a guy just weave through traffic at a little more than "normal" speed just for the heck of it? Does every such instance have to mean that it's a challenge to yet another street race?

I'm not a racer, nor do I pretend to be one. If I am really good at racing, I'll make that my profession, and spend my "off the job" days practicing at some race track.

However, that doesn't mean that I can't sometimes go beyond my comfort zone on the road when conditions permit. It seems like I'll have to carry a disclaimer board every time I want to do this, to prevent unnecessary risk to other road users.

0 comments:

Post a Comment